A large number of men experience hair loss during their lives. Many try using products such as minoxidil or finasteride to try and regrow their hair. However, a growing number are choosing to embrace the fact they are going to bald by simply shaving their heads.
For those making this choice, it is important to take the time to learn how to shave your head bald properly to achieve the best results.
- For those who have never shaved their head before, or who have not done so in a long time, it is important to obtain a “pre-shave”. This is done by taking a hair clipper and cutting the hair as close to the scalp as the blades will allow. No guard should be used on the clippers as one wants the hair as short as possible.
- The shaving should be done immediately after a shower. The wet hair will be softer and the skin will be clean, which will help to prevent problems and cuts while shaving.
- It is a good idea to exfoliate the scalp before beginning the process. Apply shaving cream to the scalp and massage it in with a brush. Do not use gels or mentholated products because these cause the pores to close. We recommend Billy Jealousy Hydroplane Shave Cream, 8-Ounce Bottle (See all Men’s Shaving Creams).
- The best razor option for shaving is a straight razor. However, one can use virtually any type of razor if done carefully. Make certain that the blade is sharpened and stropped if using a straight razor. Use a brand new, sharp blade with other razors. Begin by shaving the hair with the grain. This means going in the direction of growth. Pull the razor down on the back and sides and cut from back to front on top. Use as little pressure as possible on the razor to avoid cutting yourself. Keep the blade rinsed frequently to avoid building up hair that can cause it to skip or cut you.
- Put more lather on the hands and rub it over the scalp. This will allow you to feel any spots that might have been missed. Pay special attention to the nape of the neck and the area behind the ears. If the shaving was not close enough to suit, one can go back over the head lightly, moving the razor against the grain. However, this increases the risk of razor burning the skin.
- The next step is to apply an astringent to the scalp to tone the skin. Finally, one should apply a moisturizer to the scalp to avoid it drying out. A moisturizer with sunscreen is ideal because the skin on the head is more sensitive to sunlight and is more susceptible to developing skin cancer if not protected properly.
Following these steps for how to shave your head bald should result in a smoother scalp with less irritation caused by the razor. One should remember to take extra care of the scalp daily as it will be more sensitive than other skin.