Today, a growing number of men are making the decision to change their natural hair color. There are many different reasons for this. Some want to cover up gray hairs. Others simply want to make a change in their appearance. Regardless of the reason, there is a need to pay attention to a few tips before you color your hair.
- Dyes will bond tighter with and last longer in healthy hair. Therefore, it is important to take good care of the hair before even deciding to apply a new color. Weak, damaged strands can be damaged worse by the chemicals in dyes that can lead to the hairs falling out. Make certain that conditioner is used and that shampoos are chosen that remove product buildup completely.
- Avoid washing the hair the day before the dye will be applied. This will allow the follicles to produce a sufficient amount of sebum, the natural oil that protects the hair and scalp. This will help to ensure that the dye is distributed evenly throughout the hair for better coverage.
- It is important to choose a color that is somewhat close to the natural one. Most people choose a shade that is within one or two shades of their natural color. This helps to reduce the risk of chemical damage to the strands as it reduces the need to bleach the hair before the new color can be established. It is easier to darken the hair than to lighten it because going darker eliminates the need to bleach completely.
- Select styling products that are made for use on color treated hair. It is also a good idea to choose a shampoo and conditioner that are safe for colored hair. Wait the prescribed amount of time after the color has been applied before washing or placing any products in the hair to avoid damage.
- If one is going to be coloring his own hair at home, he should follow the instructions on the box exactly. These have been written to ensure the best results and to minimize chemical damage to the hair. Failure to follow them can result in one getting a color that is not what was desired or in the hair being damaged so badly that it can not be saved.
- For complicated coloring tasks like adding highlights or making a drastic change such as going from black to blonde or vice versa, one should have a professional hair stylist apply the color. This will help to minimize the chances of getting a poor result and will help to ensure the hair remains in good condition. They also know how to evaluate the hair and determine what chemicals can be safely used and which can not.
Following a few simple tips before you color your hair can help to ensure you get the results you expect. It can also help to ensure the hair remains health, manageable, and looking good after the color is applied.