A large number of men keep their faces clean shaven. However, there are also many of us that prefer to sport some facial hair, a mustache, a beard, or both. Sometimes, especially when we are younger, the hair that grows on the face is very light in color, making it almost invisible. Later, as we get older, we begin to see gray mixing into the natural hair color. In both cases, many men desire darker facial hair without the lighter coloring. Here, we will look at how to darken facial hair.
- In the case of younger men with pale hair, shaving often has the effect of thickening the hair shafts, making the facial hair coarser than the head hair. These thicker shafts appear to be darker in color because they are more visible.
- Another method of darkening facial hair is the application of henna to the hair. This works to dye light colored hair to a darker color with red highlights. Other ingredients can be added to the henna to produce even darker colors.
- There are also hair dye products made just for coloring men’s facial hair. Just for Men is one example. Grecian Formula 16 is another that some men also use to darken the gray hair at their temples. The dye should be brushed into the hair on the area of the face one wishes to darken. Care must be exercised during this process to keep the dye off the skin because it will color the skin as well.
- In the case of a thin mustache, some men use a pencil in much the same way women do their eyebrows. This method works well if one has a thin, fine mustache such as the pencil style. It is not very good with a fuller mustache.
- The method used by most men is the commercial dyes made for men. These come with complete instructions on their use. They are also fairly inexpensive.