Stress is one of the most popular reasons for hair loss amongst men. Excessive stress can lead to conditions such as telogen effluvium, a disease which causes the thinning of the scalp by reducing the growth of hair follicles. In more serious conditions, stress can also lead to alopecia areata, a hair loss condition caused when white blood cells attack your hair follicles.
Within the psychological communities, one of the most effective means to treating stress is exercise. Engaging in physical activities has been proven to benefit patients suffering from other psychological conditions such as depression or anxiety. The reason why exercises are hypothesized to reduce stress levels in an individual is attributed to the increased levels of endorphins produced while exercising. Endorphins are chemicals released by our brains which bind to our neuro receptors to give us pain relief, to enhance our immune system and to reduce stress.
So before you go the gym and starting hitting weights; take a minute and learn about the exercises that are most likely to release endorphins and prevent hair loss. A lot of people experience the rush after a couple of minutes into their workout and some people experience it half an hour later.
- Jogging: Apart from being an extremely beneficial form of cardio, jogging is said to increase your body’s production of endorphins. The term “runner’s high” was inspired by marathon runners and joggers who were familiar with the euphoria and the exhilaration induced. Running for half an hour, on the treadmill or at the park, will go a long way in preventing hair loss and in ensuring a healthy lifestyle.
- Swimming: For those people who prefer water over land, swimming is yet another form of effective cardio but you must be aware that floating in your backyard pool does not qualify as cardio. You know you are doing it right when you can feel your heart beat elevated; so time your laps and maintain a definite pace.
- Cycling: Some people prefer to avoid the monotonous nature of cardio and refer to cycling as an alternative. You can have an exercise bike at home or go for a trip in your park. A minimum of 20 minutes is recommended and once again, you have to be sure to maintain a challenging pace.
- Bench Press: Although bench presses are not recommended for the beginner, it does exercise a large muscle group and is said to give people a rush. Get into the regular bench pressing position and pack as much weight as you can. Go for high intensity and low reps and do not spend too much time in between reps.
- Squats: It is an exercise that focuses on many large muscle groups like quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes and calf muscles. It gives an intense workout for your lower body and will leave you gasping for air. Perform around 20 repetitions per set and be sure to maintain perfect form.
- Leg Press: With the leg press, the only downside is that it cannot be performed at home unless you have the exercising equipment. Put on as much weight as you can and perform 12-15 repetitions per set and go for 3 sets. In case, you cannot perform that many, try to go for as many as you can.
- Lunges: Lunges are very popular for targeting muscles in your lower body and you can do them free hand or with additional weight. Perform 20 repetitions per set with 3 sets. Again, these are only guide lines. If you can perform more, then you should always strive to make your workouts as intense as possible for maximum results.
- Dead lift: One of the most demanding exercises, the dead lift is something that should not be performed unless your fitness instructor taught you proper form. Go for as much weight as you can while performing 8-10 repetitions per set, for as many sets you can do.
About half an hour to an hour after performing these exercises, you should be feeling mild euphoria and an increased energy level. Remember to not be demoralized if you don’t see hair growth after exercising for a week because it effects are going to be more apparent in the long run. However, in coalition with a healthy lifestyle, exercising can rejuvenate your hair line once again!
About the Author
This post was written by Syed Shadab, a freelance writer and was resourced by Hairklinik.com- Premium online retailer for hair growth supplements. Click here to learn more about them!