Billy Idol porcupine hairstyle.
When most guys think of short hairstyles, they either see some sort of buzz cut or something out of the 1950s that old men still wear to look good in an office setting. However, there are some ways that men can create a slightly more edgy look by adding spikes to their style. They simply need to learn how to spike mens short hair.
- The first step is to decide on the type of spikes one wants and how stiff he wants the hold to be. For Liberty spikes or porcupine spikes, it is likely that one will need to purchase gel or mousse to get an adequate hold. For other, softer looks, pomade or wax should be sufficient.
- The next step is to ensure that one starts with cleanliness. It is essential to ensure that all residues from past applications of products are removed as well as any dirt or oil that may have accumulated. After washing, one will need to partially towel dry it without getting it too dry.
- With your hair partially damp, apply the product chosen to hands and gently rub it through your hairdo, trying to achieve an even coating from root to tip. Then, using one hand, pull sections up into the spikes as desired. Once the spikes are created, one should gently blow dry on a low temperature setting to set the product and harden the spikes in place.
- A more natural look can be achieved by simply rubbing the hands through the locks so that random sections stand up in spikes. This usually provides a softer look that is acceptable in almost all situations, including professional settings. It also takes less maintenance than other styles because all one has to do to refresh it is run the hands through the strands again.
- Most men are satisfied with spikes on the top of the head. They tend to comb the sides and back down so that they lie close to the scalp. However, some find that they can get an edgier look by spiking the sides and/or back as well. This is especially common among Asian men who seek to recreate the styles seen on anime characters.
- If one is unsure how to accomplish the style, he can usually seek advice from professional stylists. These individuals can help ensure that the hair is cut in a style that will be conducive to spiking and will look good. They can also make recommendations based on one’s facial shape and features. They may even help create the style and teach one how it is done so that it can be recreated at home with ease.
The keys to spike short hair are deciding on the look one desires and getting his hair cut in a manner that will support that style, knowing what product will be needed to hold the spikes in place, and styling while the hair is still damp so that it will bond with the product and remain in place for the day.